This is a workout that I’ve done on my cross training days when I’m not running. It seems like a lot of repetitions, but it goes by fast and the best part is that you don’t really need to think about it. You will get a total body workout in under 45 minutes with no fancy equipment needed! All you need is a floor, a chair or step, and you. The faster you do it, the higher your heart rate, the more you’ll burn. While watching your favorite show you can fit each set into those annoying commercial breaks instead of going to the kitchen for another cookie.
- 15 Jumping Jacks (yup, school’s in session!)
- 30 Push-Ups – You can do these on your knees if you’re not quite ready for toes yet. See how! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nlprm-lhcsw
- 30 Dips – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKjcgfu44sI
- 50 Squats – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ6eTiEsWkQ
- 40 crunches – Make sure you’re doing them correctly! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W6bVf1QAKo
Do each exercise one after the other without pausing, then rest for 2 minutes when all the exercises are completed. Repeat this cycle up to 3 times. If you’re a beginner, you may want to complete the cycle only once and see how you feel the next day. If you’re not conditioned and ready for this amount of exercise you may do yourself more harm than good by pushing yourself further than that. With that said, if you feel ok the next day with only minor muscle soreness than you can bump it up to 2 cycles next time. For some of you these numbers may seem a little high, so do as much as you can. Just remember to challenge yourself and not let yourself off the hook so easily. You know what you’re capable of, so go for it.