To go along with yesterday’s myth buster, I wanted to just let you know that you are human and sometimes you are going to want to indulge in your favorite bad-for-you foods. Unless you have some crazy love for broccoli or a special hidden talent, I don’t know anyone who can resist pizza for the rest of their lives. Still though, so many people think that the way to lose weight is to cut back on everything pleasurable. But, do you think that you could really give up cheesecake and ice cream for good? Most likely not. You’ll eventually start picking at that luscious piece of cheesecake and before you know it will have devoured a third of it (at least). This kind of flip-flopping between all or nothing, better known as yo-yo dieting, activates your stress system, making you want to scarf down even more. Which is why you can’t seem to drop the weight, even though you’ve been so “good”.
Taking off weight and leaving it in the dust for good depends on learning how to live a BALANCED lifestyle, which includes the occasional piece of birthday cake. Follow my 80/20 rule. If you eat well 80% of the time, then you can indulge the other 20% guilt-free. Yay cake!