Yay, it’s Memorial Day weekend, which means summer is almost here! It also means lots of BBQs and parties this weekend, so don’t let one weekend blow months of hard work away. You still want to have a fabulous time though and not be the boring girl eating one lettuce leaf, so read on to find out how to navigate through all the fried chicken and burger-y goodness and still have fun.
1. Instead of heading straight for the burgers go towards the cut up veggies and salad first. Filling up on water packed foods will make you less likely to overeat the fat packed foods.
2. Speaking of burgers, if you’re making your own BBQ or you can bring something to someone else’s try my Turkey Burger recipe. It is D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S and I promise you won’t miss the beefy kind! Also make sure to go easy on the mayo if it’s not low-fat. Better yet, stay away from it and try some avocado instead. Keep in mind that a full fat burger with all the fixings is 511 calories! That’s 58 minutes of stair climbing**!
3. If you’re going to drink and you’re a beer kind of girl stick to a light beer. If you like something a bit harder stay away from the sugary cocktails which are usually loaded with extra calories. Drinking your calories isn’t very satisfying and a margarita has 200 of those suckers, which means you’ll have to wash the dishes from your little party for 92 minutes! Instead swap the sugar for diet soda. My favorite mix is Stoli vanilla vodka and Coke Zero. Another good one is something we’ve named The Chilly Willie, which is mandarin vodka and diet root beer (I promise, it’s delicious!).
4. Who doesn’t love some good potato salad? I know! But, 1 cup will set you back 358 calories and 20g of fat! And you guessed it, I’m going to tell you what kind of agony you need to put yourself through to burn it off… That’s 81 minutes of mopping up after the guests leave! If that’s your kind of fun then go for the potato salad. If it’s not, then try grilling up some corn on the cob. I know it’s not potato salad, but I promise you’re going to want seconds! And good thing is that you can have seconds!
5. You scream, I scream, we all love ICE CREAM! I love ice cream as much as the next girl, but I have to keep my cravings in check, because I can easily devour an entire container all by myself in one sitting. Take this: a 1/2 cup serving of vanilla Ben & Jerry’s equals 240 calories and 16g fat. You’d have to do 30 minutes of push-ups to take that off! Have a Skinny Cow Truffle Bar for just 100 calories instead. They are YUMMY!
So, those are my tips. If you do give into temptation though don’t worry too much about it. It’s only one weekend and it’s hard to keep on track all the time. Just make sure that when you wake up the next morning you rededicate yourself to eating right and getting into gear. Don’t let one day turn into 1 week, and then a month, and then a year.
** All calorie counts are based on a 130lb. person
Have a question that needs answering? Send ‘em in! Every Thursday I’ll be answering a new question, and it might just be yours! If yours is chosen you’ll receive a FREE Fit Deck!